Sunday, April 11, 2010

Squeaky Clean!

Today I get to do penance for all the over eating of the winter! I'm prepping for a colonoscopy tomorrow morning. So after stuffing myself with lovely wonderful warm spicy Indian cuisine last night, I get clear liquids all day long!! Good thing I did my weekend bike ride in the hills yesterday! I think it would be a little rougher to do 30 miles on nothing but clears!

Funny thing is a young man I know who lives in Florida is prepping today too! So we'll be sharing the pain! Gary has Crohns (same as my oldest son) so for him this is actually a fairly routine sorta thing. Could probably teach me a thing or two. I did send him a suggestion that some beers might also be considered a clear liquid. Just stay away from the Hefeweissen's!!

During lunch on yesterdays hill ride, I had a fairly long chat with the friend I was riding with about telling and not telling people about this upcoming event. Although I'm "posting" here, I haven't actually told a soul about this blog. So far it's more of an electronic diary. I will probably post it publicly later. For now, I'm laying low.

There are a variety of reasons. One, first and foremost is the privacy of the recipient. It won't take a rocket scientist to figure out who it is and connect us. Second, while I have no questions in my mind about doing this, the negative questions, while well intended, get old. Not that people aren't supportive, but they frequently project their own fears about surgery and all things medical onto me and my situation. I want to be able to support and encourage others, but would never in a million years dream of trying to push or persuade someone to do this. This is something others have said, as though they feel guilty because they're not or can't see themselves doing this. My feeling is it's gotta be from the gut/heart! You the donor just plain want to do it. And if you don't that's really ok too!

One thing to be said for all the testing it's making sure I get all the tires check, rotated, fluids checked etc. I will have one clean bill of health when we are finished!! Gonna have to go now...I hear some green Gatorade calling my name...yum!! Hcccccckkkk (basic hairball sorta noise there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment