Friday, April 2, 2010

My favorite books begin in medias res. Smack dab in the middle of the story. So appropriately enough, I begin my tale somewhere in the middle of this journey.

Today was the day I went to the hospital for a CT scan. Specifically of my torso. For the purpose of checking out the lay of the land. Where do my kidneys sit inside me. How are they in comparison to other bodily parts and organs. And via that lovely hot flash of contrast...how well do they appear to work. Which one of them appears best for the plucking. While this is all rather routine for folks at the hospital, some parts of today's journey sure weren't.

I arrived late due to staggering amounts of traffic in Center City, on what should have been a fairly light travel day. After all a good number of business give off on Good Friday. So I thought getting there would be a piece of cake. I figured and hour plus to get to the U of P Hospital would be plenty. Wrong. Sitting in the Vine St. express way, watching the gas gauge go lower and lower and starting to sweat with anxiety, I actually called my youngest and had him check on line to see if there was any news of an accident...nada! I finally did a grand tour-de-tour thru down town and arrived at the hospital only about 15 to 20 minutes late.

Fortunately U of P is a big place and builds in a fair bit of play to their schedules. They also have the most fabulous valet parking system. So all I have to do each time is find my way there, and hand over my keys. Sweet system!

I bolted across the street via one of the terrific overhead walkways, and into the Perlman Building , down the escalator and into Radiology. The receptionist gives you one of those discs that restaurants use to let you know your table is ready. Hmmmm. Table for one...interesting!

They seem to streamline my waits (guess they like me!) and I'm in the changing/waiting room after only one page in my 900 page book. Yes, I am that prepared. I find myself sitting, elegantly clad in large blue, grey and maroon hospital gowns together with two other women. They get the ever popular milkshakes of indeterminate flavor that everyone just loves to chug before getting a look see at their innards. Me...I get nothing.

In fact at this point I haven't had anything 'cept a cuppa coffee early in the morning. It's now approaching 1:15! No water...no food...zip. Actually those chalky cups of goodness are actually starting to look really good! Now that is desperation.

Moments later a cute young man calls my name and the fun begins. I need to have an IV site put in for the contrast that will be coming later. Now mind you I've already had lots, and lots and lots of blood drawn as well as other stuff done to me. But today my bod decides it wants more contrast of a different kind. As we're chatting about blood, blood transfusions, blood stains not showing on these gorgeous gowns...stuff I really do find fascinating...I felt light..fuzzy. I know this feeling well, unfortunately, very very well. I don't play this game lightly and promptly look at him..and say "I need to lay down. NOW." Apparently the bit of blood that got spilled (but didn't stain my gown!) was the last straw to my usual low pressure, after a morning of dehydration.

According to sources I went down three times! I dunno I wasn't really there...but apparently they still use the same nasty formula for those ammonia thingys! Eww! But I did get my stretcher and nice warm blankies! After about 45 minutes of embarrassment and a bag of saline and a little begging on my part...I finally get my CT scan! I mean do they really want me having to go thru this again...???? Why not just do it and get it over with. Apparently they agreed!

So now I await the return of the prodigal surgeon, who had a family emergency.

Ok, I guess the why needs to be answered. I am a living donor for a kidney transplant. Or as I told them today...I'll do anything to lose a pound or so of weight. Anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment