Saturday, July 31, 2010

Normal...well sort of!

This Thursday, for the first time since June 6th, I slung a leg over my trusty bicycle and peddled away with friends.  Just getting into my biking clothes was strange and even a bit difficult.  Fortunately, the way the waist band is cut on my bike shorts mirrored the angle of the incision, and was a half inch below!  That meant no irritating chaffing or pressure on a sensitive area.

Clipping into my pedals was another odd moment.  Being one with the bike again was a strange sort of commitment, almost a form of trust, that I could do this again.  Being "lopsided" since the weight of the scar tissue is on the right was a bit of a concern.  I wondered if it would effect my balance and how I felt coming to a stop and having to unclip my left foot, which is my preferred release foot.  After the first red light it came back as naturally as taking a deep breath...it just happened when needed.

Can't quite say the same for using the drops on my handlebars, that lower portion on most road bikes.  That continued to feel a tad strange and "fat" on the right side.  I know this will get better, as it doesn't feel as hard and inflexible as it did even a few weeks ago.  Now if I can just get the quads to get back to the strength they were back in May when I did my last century ride...Have I mentioned that I'm impatient?

Ahh well, guess I'll go do the hubby's "boring" little ride down to the Y in Burlington...it's only a 15 mile round trip... I'm already chomping at the bit for longer rides.  I'd rather go out for 20 to 25 today...but suspect that  may be pushing a bit too much.  Guess that means I really am back to "Normal"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment